Sunday, March 19, 2017

Target Audience

No piece of media, whether it a feature film or a website, is made without a specific group in mind. This specific group would be known as the target audience. As I am putting together my portfolio project, I also have a target audience in mind. With my short film I am targeting all genders, ages 16-30. Now, while this age range may seem a little vague, there is a purpose behind it.

I chose this age range because this is the period in life during which people are most actively dating. My short film tells the story of two people who have just been dumped by their partners, so I want my audience to be able to relate to the characters and the story. I went up to the age of 30 primarily because the median age people get married is around 27-29, so I felt that, by 30, the majority of people will have stopped dating and settled down. People within this age range has most likely experiment heartbreak at some point in their lives, this means that they will be able to have a greater connection with my short film. I also want my short to go beyond just getting over a breakup. I want it represent any obstacle in life and show how that, even when you feel like you've hit rock bottom, things can only get better. As much as life might not being going your way a one point or another, there is always hope that you can overcome any situation.



I also don't want to isolate one gender over another. By incorporating both a male and a female character into my short, I feel like I will be able to address both perspectives and show that these experiences are universal. Typically within the media women are portrayed as the weaker sex, in that they are the more emotional ones. I want to show that your gender does not define your personality and that everyone is unique. I hope that with my short I can help break the stigma surrounding men who express their emotions and show that having feelings doesn't make anyone "less of a man".



Sources: https://www.census.gov/hhes/families/files/graphics/MS-2.pdfhttp://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21652323-blue-collar-men-rich-countries-are-trouble-they-must-learn-adapt-weaker-sex

No comments:

Post a Comment