Sunday, April 2, 2017

Designing the Postcard

The postcard is a very important tool used in promoting any film, primarily at film festivals, and they can have a big impact when it comes to spreading the word about a particular piece. A postcard is a small flyer given out during film festivals as a way to promote a particular film or short film. A good postcard is extremely important as it is the most direct line of advertisement to your audience.

For the postcard for EROS I want it to be visually interesting, but also informative. The postcard will not only advertise the film, but it will let audiences know how, where, and when they can watch it.





















The photo on the left is my original raw image. The photo on the right is an update to my editing progress. My goal is to keep the structure of the photo intact, but to erase all evidence that it was taken in my garage. A lot of work still needs to be done, but you can get an idea for where its headed. I will also be featuring some text on the front side of my postcard, including the title, but this is what the image will look like. The back of the postcard will feature information about where and when to view EROS at a film festival as well as a short synopsis. My overall goal is to make it simple and eye-catching so that if a festival-goer were to see this, they would want to go watch the entire piece.

To edit the photo I first went in and edited with Lightroom, a software created for editing photos. I used Lightroom to add filters, adjust the highlights and shadows, and to make the lights seem more blurred. After I got the colors and overall image to look how I wanted, I went in and edited with Photoshop. With Photoshop I masked portions of the photo that I didn't want, such as the overt garage door, and made everything blend together and seem realistic. With Photoshop I will be completing the image and adding text, as well as designing the back of the postcard. These tools allow me to manipulate my images in order to turn my vision into a reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment