Sunday, April 2, 2017

Script Changes

EROS follows two people experiencing a breakup and their journeys overcoming that obstacle. Filming has begun and overall everything is going according to plan except for one minor change. As I began filming, I began to question and aspects of my script. In my first draft I had much of the silent scenes accompanied by voiceovers of the voicemails left by their exes, explained theirs motives behind breaking up. When I was filming and going over the script I realized it was repetitive and wasn't really showing the evolution of my main characters in the way I had imagined. To solve this problem I went back and scrapped all those lines and replaced them with voicemails left by my main characters when they tried calling back their exes. These voicemails will more clearly show the changes in the characters as they begin to get over their past relationship. It is a much better way to convey the emotions of my characters and the different ways each of them reacts to the situation. It is also a way to show how hard it is to let go of something that was a large part of your life and the reluctance to move on.


Here is an excerpt from one of the updated scenes:

[in a voicemail left for his ex]
Ezra: “Fun? You think all that we had was just fun? Are you kidding me?” "I thought this was serious, I mean we were together for over a year, and you think that was all just fun and games? Did you even love me or was I just some guy to have 'fun' with?"


With this new line I can more accurately show his anger and frustration with the situation, which wouldn't have been obvious before. Overall I think this change was necessary and benefited the short in general. Now their emotional journey is far more clearly represented.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment